Monday 7 January 2013

How to mess up a patch [Part I]

Strictly speaking, this should have been [Part 15] or so. I keep making mistakes, and it is not for want of checking -- my 'spidey sense' just isn't honed and there is quite a bit odd detail to be observed. Lucky for me, the Subversion team are eagle-eyed and patient!


So what went wrong in today's patch?  Let's count the ways:

  1.  I didn't take a break before proofreading.
  2. My original goal was to do A, then I found that doing B was superior, but then claimed I did A instead of B in the log message.    Always check your entry and exit contract.
  3. I assumed something weird and didn't question it. What I should have thought instead was: how odd! and investigated.
  4. I didn't consider that two Apache sites would have uniformity in architecture, concept and appearance.

All this looks perfectly obvious in hindsight, but actually, it's not so trivial.  It's not that the individual tasks are difficult, it's just that there are so many of them!